Now that there is a baby, pets are second fiddles..


In my previous blog entry: Having a pet is good practice for motherhood, pre-Grant, I talked about how I treated my cat Marco pretty much like a baby. He was so spoiled. Matt and I would cuddle with him, fussy over him and go crazy. I would take thousands of pictures of my cat. I even have dressed him up on on occasions. I was ridiculous with my cat, you would have thought he was my first born child. Maybe in way he was considering that is one reason I wanted a cat in the first place, to fill the void as a pseudo child, since I had to wait a couple of years before having a child. But now that Grant is in the picture, Marco is like the abandon step-child. Babies are way more exciting than cats! Taking care of Grant takes so much time and energy, that I don't have time to pay attention to Marco.

Marco is now irritating to both Matt and I. I find myself  and Matt saying "You stupid cat" quite often. And getting easily annoyed by everything he does. And it suddenly see seems more of a trouble maker, getting into things. Escaping outside a lot. Being bad. Though maybe he really isn't anymore bad then he was before. Marco has always been a troublemaker of a cat. But because taking care of a baby is a handful in itself, having a bratty cat just adds more headaches to the day.

But don't get me wrong, Marco is a sweet cat, he really isn't that terrible. I just feel bad that I don't care about him the same way I use to. Maybe that makes me sound like a terrible person. I feel like Marco is getting neglected. I don't change his litter-box as often as I should because I simply don't have time. We use to give Marco frequent bathes. Now Marco hasn't had a bath in over four months. But I'm sure he isn't complaining about that. He HATES bathes. We don't cuddle and pet Marco as often anymore. Don't worry, one thing we are still not slacking on is food. Marco definitely gets fed. He is a fat cat!

Marco definitely likes his food, and likes to get his bouts of attention when he can!


 
With how spoiled Marco is, I was worried how Marco would be with Grant. Surprisingly Marco has done very good with Grant. He pays no never mind to him. When Grant cries, Marco comes running out of nowhere acting very concern that Grant is upset. It is very cute. Marco is good about not getting in Grant's baby-bed or other things. For now Marco is great with Grant. Though I worry when Grant becomes mobile. That will be a different story. I know Marco hates toddlers. Both of my nieces have been swatted at my Marco when they attempt to pet him. Marco just remembers them pulling and tugging him once and now anytime they try to just nicely pet him, Marco gets mad. So I do worry how Marco will be when Grant is crawling and walking around. Though, Grant doesn't have front claws. So maybe I don't have to worry too much.

Speaking of claws. Marco is officially on my hate list. Yesterday I was brushing Marco. Now Marco hates when I brush him. He gets fur all over the place. So I have to brush him. But it is a dangerous task. I decided to quit brushing Marco's fur, because I could tell he was getting mad. So I stopped and was looking at my toes, deciding if I should paint them or not. Next thing I know, Marco attacks my arm and bits it! Now this wasn't a I'm mad and jealous there is a baby revenge bite. Marco has attacked before when I brush him. I just never have gotten a bit so bad from him before.

Bad Kitty! It looks worse today. 


Even though Marco is the abbanon step cat child now. He still gets his attention when he can. His knew thing is sitting on my laptop while I using it and while I'm nursing Grant at the same time.

Give me some attention now!
                                       

And Marco likes doing bad things like try to drink water that's on kitchen table instead of the actual water from his bowl. Like I said, Marco has always done these kind of bad things, but now that I have a baby, I don't have time to yell or stop the bad things Marco does.
Bad kitty!   


I know I'm making it sound like my cat is terrible. Really Marco isn't that bad of a cat. He is really sweet. That is why I feel bad we don't pay as much attention to him anymore. Even though we are not paying much attention to him, Marco is still loved very much. And Marco likes Grant too. Hopefully it stays that way.

Marco watching over the little Buddy


Comments

  1. I feel the same way about not having as much time for our furbaby, Snoopy. It used to be she was the center of attention always.. now? Not so much. She's taking it in stride tho, but wants nothing to do with the baby! lol. It'll get better eventually I think and once our babies are old enough to pull tails I think our cats won't want any attention! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has experienced this! In my case, though, not only does Gracie getting on my nerves, but she is apparently terrible with kids, which sometimes causes me concern. She has been terrified of Abby from day one, and while she usually just stays out of her way, has swiped at her a couple of times when cornered. Interestingly, she seems to like my five-month-old son Michael just fine, and has never had a problem with him. I don't know if it's a personality thing, or just an indication that she's learned that there's nothing to fear from babies when they're that young and immobile. I guess we'll see as Michael gets older...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts