Things I've learned so far as a mother:

Being a mother is wonderful. Everyday is a new learning experience. Grant just turned 4 months yesterday, and for only being a mother for 4 months, I must say I'm starting to get the hang of being a mom. I remember being petrified of being a mom before Grant came, but I never realized how natural it would come. I pretty much knows what calms Grant down when he is upset. I know his cries, we got a routine, and I know how to make him laugh. I actually feel very confident as a mother.

A couple of weeks ago, one of Matt's aunts held Grant. He started crying. I instantly came out of nowhere. It's weird how I have a radar now for my child's cries. She was holding him like a baby, with Grant's mouth towards her chest. First off Grant hates being held like a baby, he likes being able to see things, and second off no baby likes to be tricked and thinking they are going to get fed. I tell her to hold him to where he is facing everyone, and showing her how to position her hand, putting it over his belly. It was a weird moment for me, mainly because I realized I sounded like a mom, explaining how to hold a baby, and just knowing instantly how to make my child happy.

Being a mom is definately a learning experience for me, and here are some more lessons I've learned so far with being a mommy:

1) Never wake a baby.

For all those times I may have awaken someone else's baby by taking them out of their car seat, because I really wanted to hold him or her, I apologize. When a baby sleeps, you want to let them sleep. Because who knows when you will be able to get them to sleep again.  Maybe this seems like common sense, but knowing how Grant fights sleep I may skip giving him a bath, changing a diaper, putting his pjs on, just so I don't disturb his slumber. This afternoon, I got Grant to sleep, and realized I forgot to change his diaper because I heard him poop earlier. Matt was insistent on me changing Grant's diaper, for fear I he would get diaper rash. But me being the terrible person I am, I didn't want to because he was sleeping peacefully. And this kid is IMPOSSIBLE to keep alseep for long periods of time. After Matt's constant insisting, I gave in and changed Grant's diaper. And of course he woke up, and didn't go back to sleep. So don't wake up a baby for whatever reason, don't do it.

2) Everyone has advice on how to raise your kid. Take what they say with a grain of salt. Do what works for your child.

The a couple of weeks ago I made the decision to start feeding Grant cereal.  I began to get conflicting advice on how I should feed him cereal. Half of my family, friends, co-workers, told me I should feed him cereal by a spoon, the other half by bottle. I was so confused on who I should believe and listen too. So I tried the spoon, Matt freaked out and then I tried the bottle. And then I tried the spoon again. I realized that was right for Grant. He did just fine with the spoon, and liked the cereal quite a bit. Bottom line, people have good intentions to offer what worked for their child. But that was their child. What worked for their kid may not work for mine. It's all a learning curve. Bottom line, I'm going to do what works for my child.

3) Multitasking is taking to a new level when you're a mom

Tonight I was watching a movie, on my laptop, pumping, and entertaining Grant all at the same time. Yes, I'm that talented. Now that I'm a mom, it's all about using my time wisely, and multitasking.

4) Pacifiers don't work on all babies.

I.E.- my child. I know some people are anti-pacifier, and don't like to use pacifiers on their child in fear that they will be hooked on them and it will be hard to break them. Well I don't mind using a pacifier on Grant. But the problem is, he HATES pacifiers. When I give him a pacifier to calm down, he gets madder and just spits the pacifier out. Maybe it's a good thing that he hates pacifiers. But on the other hand, it's harder to sooth him!

5) Some babies sleep through the night, and take frequent naps, others do not.

I had this disillusion when I first had Grant that he would sleep all the time. Don't ask me why I thought babies sleep all the time. And maybe some babies do. But since birth, mine has not. This kid fights sleep ALL THE TIME! He rarely takes naps. When he does, he stays asleep for only 15 minutes tops. I can't get him in bed sooner than 10:30. It was 1:00 am every night. So I am making progress. I guess Grant is afraid he is going to miss something really important if he goes to sleep. I should have know out of all people I would have a high energy child that hates sleep.

6) Baby Smiles makes everything better.

I mean look at this face:
Doesn't this face just melt your heart?
Have a crappy day at work? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Having a bad hair day? Look at a smiling baby, and it makes it all better.

7) You can be pretty annoying and obnoxious to most people, but to a baby you're amazing, and pure entertainment.

For those who know me personally, you know and I know that I can be pretty annoying at times. But I must say Grant loves it! He loves when I sing made up songs about folding the laundry, and doing the dishes. He loves when I'm silly and crazy. Most people would had that, but little Grant, he loves it!

So those are more things I've learned since being a mommy, that I can add to my list.

And to end this blog entry with a picture of my little growing buddy.

 One thing I've learned is they grow up so fast! I can't get over how quickly Grant has grown!

Comments

Popular Posts